Follow Dashboard

Eats@Osaka
Saturday, June 15, 2013 | 7:03 PM | 0 comments

   Eats@Osaka!

551 Horai is a famous Chinese restaurant in Osaka. However I only had the chance to visit their take-away stalls while we were going to take the JR. Gyoza (Pan fried chinese dumplings), Butaman (Meat bun) and their Shumai (Steam Pork Dumplings) some of their signature dishes. Both bf and I have a thing for Gyoza and Shumai, so when we saw the queue (moving quite fast) at this take away stall, he prompt me to go get some too.

Usually the bf will ask me to try first and when I took my first bites of both the Gyoza and Shumai, my eyes were beaming, showing him that I am very satisfied at the bf and he was like "Nice?" I took the whole box of Shumai from him, giving him the scheming look and said "No, not nice and you better don't eat." And he knew right away that I am in LOVE them, hehe.



         The display of their food items,packaging and pricing at the takeaway stall.

The meat in the Gyoza is very tender, juicy and mouthwatering, the skin gives a little crisp from the pan-frying. Its very addictive! *I wish I can have some now*

We usually dip the Gyoza with slice ginger and vinegar but THIS GYOZA do not need any dip at all! Well you can still dip if you want to.. but if you are on take away, its kinda hard.

        15 pieces of Gyoza in a box at 390 yen (About S$7)
       Its super worth it! Compared to any Japanese restaurants especially in Singapore.

Its not small size kind of Siew Mai that we have for Dim Sum. This is different! 
The texture and taste of the Shumai was just right, no overly meaty or oily. 
It made me crave for more and I could not choose to eat between the Gyoza or the Shumai first.

        12 pieces in a box at 600 Yen (About S$11). 
        Slightly on the pricey side but its totally worth the money!

When I researched online, many mentioned that Okonomiyaki (which means Cook what you like) is a dish that is a must try in Osaka. 
I did not want to try initially because the bf does not eat cabbage/vegetables so I know I have to finish it on my own. 


But when I walked past, this small outlet of Sakura Okonomiyaki, I could not resist to try after seeing the Chef cooking some up.

Okonomiyaki is a fusion of both a pancake and a pizza. It has a mixed of ingredients and its savoury and crispy at the same time. I forgot how much this meal cost us but its definitely worth a try!

                  This is the teppanyaki table that they cook the Okonomiyaki live in front of you.

   The Chefs at work! 
     There is a bar counter to dine if you are alone and two to four seater seats are also available.

Most shops will actually cook it for you especially when you are a tourist and they will top the Okonomiyaki with Aonegi (seaweed flakes) and mayonnaise. 





 Funfact: 
In Tokyo, people cut the Okonomiyaki in pizza slice form and in Osaka, they cut it into squares.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,



Old things | New things